The festive season is upon us at last, and the focus turns to decorating our homes. As the weather closes down, it makes sense to create a haven of light and comfort indoors. And what better excuse than the most magical of all our seasonal celebrations – Christmas!
Christmas décor offers you the opportunity to transform your home in preparation for welcoming your friends and family. To get you in the mood – if you’re not there already – the team at Bentley Priory Linens has come up with 4 festive tips.
1. Start With a Colour Scheme
What’s your Christmas palette this year? The traditional colours are, of course red for fire, white for snow, and green for the firs and holly that remind us Spring will come again. In the end, though, it’s all about the mood and atmosphere you want for your home.
The Christmas colours for 2021 are all about bright and joyful hues, chasing away the fears we’ve been living with for the past 18 months. Reds, blues and greens are popular – and for the sophisticates – olive green, caramel and soft taupe.
2. Time to Be Cosy
Yes, Christmas is all about the parties, the roast and the presents, but there’s so much more to enjoy too. Curling up with a book; chatting with friends over a hot chocolate (with marshmallows) or laughing/crying together over old films on TV.
Create opportunities to be cosy by supplying ample quantities of blankets, throws and cushions in bedrooms, your living area and even outside. Texture and comfort are the priority when it comes to these, so offer a mix of chenille, faux fur or fleece options to choose from.
3. Think About a Greener Christmas
2021 was the year of COP26, so many people are thinking about ways to have amore sustainable Christmas this year. This doesn’t mean losing any of the festive spirit, instead it’s all about making small changes to reduce your environmental footprint.
- Wrapping Paper. Wrap your gift in recycled paper, or even fabric. You can buy it online, or simply save up your scraps and decorate it with bright colours.
- Recycle Your Christmas Decorations. Dig out that box of decorations that you grew up with as a kid. Each one has a story that you can share with your children or remember with the family.
- Choose a Natural Wreath for Your Door. Most of us will be looking to cut down on plastic use over the festive season, and a natural wreath is a good place to start.
- Rent a Christmas Tree. Yes really! Nothing beats the real thing for looks or sustainability. There are a number of ways to rent your tree, and, best of all, it lives on to enjoy another Christmas.
4. Provide Your Guests With Christmas Luxury
A magical Christmas isn’t just about how your home looks. The experience it offers to guests is also part of the mix. Think about the special touches you can create to give family and friends a touch of luxury over the festive period. A special soap perhaps, or luxury guest towels in the bathroom. Burning scented candles to fill the house with smells of cinnamon, or home-made mulled wine upon their arrival.